Mon - Sun:None
Al Mafjar Beach
Al Mafjar Beach is a good beach for water-sports, swimming, snorkeling and hiking. It is worth mentioning the abandoned historic village, that lends this beach its name. Driving there with a sedan is trickier than to Fuwairit, but the landscape is beautiful. Furthermore Al Mafjar Beach is close to Umm Tais National Park – an important protected habitat for birds and other animals.
Best way to Mafjar Beach
+ From Doha drive north on Shamal Highway until you reach Al Shamal and the highway ends at the second roundabout. Turn right and after about 2.5 Kilometers turn left on the small paved road. Continue until just before you reach a group of houses at the shore turn right onto a dirt-track. Follow the track parallel to the shore until you reach Mafjar that can be recognized by the fenced abandoned village.
Historic village, nearby mangroves, fish and clear deep water
Al Mafjar is a tiny hamlet with a beautiful and unspoiled beach that transitions into the nearby mangroves and features a sandbank, that can be reached wading through calm water, which will be around knee-deep during high tide. The remains of the old village are fenced due to conservation reasons, but they can be spotted through the fence and there is a colonial style villa build next to the historic village. It is quite a remarkable sight and gives a good idea about what live could have been like here in the old days. It is a very quiet place and the only other people will be some workers who live in the single house that stands there.
Note: in the recent winter the number of camping permits for Al Mafjar Beach increased. So be prepared to see a larger number of caravans lined up on the beach. Most of the owners are not there all the time, but it does spoil the ambiance a little bit. However, the unique setting and deep water make this still a great beach to visit.
Swimming, wading, snorkeling
- Swimming in the shallow channel is safe for families with kids.
- Wading to observe fish and crabs is fun
- Snorkeling to the halfway sunk car is interesting as it provides shelter to small fish that are cool to discover
- If you avoid going to the beach right in front of the house, you will enjoy good privacy and can enjoy some swimming as well. The sand is soft and crossing the shallow channel, that separates the beach from the land is a pleasure to cross. We felt like it was a good idea to wear water proof shoes for protection.
Equipment to bring to Al Mafjar Beach
- As there is no shade, bring a large umbrella for protection.
- Water-proof shoes
- Plenty of water and some Snacks (there are absolutely no shops in the area)
- Diving goggle, fins and snorkel
- Kite boarding equipment (Yes, it is possible here when the wind is good)
Check Qatar Meteorology Website for wind & temperature forecast.
YOU MUST LOGIN TO SUBMIT A REVIEW